Whether you are a garden club, a church class, or just a bunch of friends who want to get together to do something fun, your group can plan an educational outing at Memphis Botanic Garden.
For more information or to schedule a program for your group, call our Adult Education Department at 636-4128.
Program usually lasts 45 minutes, with additional time allowed for questions. Garden staff can be scheduled to speak to groups on a wide variety of topics. See the suggestions below, or call with your own idea.
On-site talks $50
Off-site talks $75
$100 for evening and weekend programs.
Call for pricing outside Shelby
Garden Club Partners receive $10 discount on Garden Talks.
Annuals and Perennials
Bamboo in the Garden
- Children’s Gardens
- Container Gardening
- Gardening with Wildlife
- Garden Design Principles
- Garden Therapy
- Memphis Botanic Garden History
- Ornamental Grasses
- Plants of the Bible
- Plant Propagation
- Proper Pruning Techniques
- Spring Planting / Fall Planting
- Tree Planting and Care
- Water Gardening Basics
Each program lasts 1½ hours depending on the workshop and can be scheduled daily, Monday through Friday. There is a minimum of 10 participants.
Priced according to program needs and supplies.
Call 636-4128 to discuss details.
- Container Gardening: Discover the key to putting together the perfect container arrangement. From shape and height to texture and color combinations, you’ll learn what it takes to make eye-appealing seasonal indoor and outdoor containers. Themes, including ornamental, edible, and even aquatic, can be arranged to suit your group’s interests. Containers provided or you can bring your own.
- Herb Gardening: Learn herbal folklore, along with the many medicinal, culinary, and cosmetic uses of herbs, tour the Herb Garden, and pot up your own windowsill herb garden.
- Fairy Gardens and Terrariums
- Floral Design: Horticulture Director Rick Pudwell offers popular programs on flower arranging, covering everything from the basic mechanics to themed designs. These may be set up as either hands-on design classes or demonstrations. Arrangements may be auctioned at the end of the program to raise funds for your group.
Staff or docent-led tours of the Garden can be arranged for your group. Tours last about 1½ hours and focus on general history of the Garden, with its 23 different display gardens and collections.
Groups pay Garden admission plus $45 fee for each private tour guide. Each guide can handle approximately 20 people.
Garden Club Partners receive $10 discount on guide fee.
Admission discount available for groups over 20.
Note: If your group has members who cannot manage a 1 ½ hour walking tour, a seven-passenger tram is available for an additional $20 fee.
The following special Garden tours are also available and can be tailored to the interests of your group:
The Herb Garden: The Herb Garden is one of the South's largest collections of useful plant species from around the world. This tour focuses on plants from three main areas: woodland, meadow, and formal herb garden.
Notable Trees: Memphis Botanic Garden is certified as a Tennessee Level 4 Arboretum. Learn about some of the most noteworthy and unusual trees in our collection.
Seijaku-en: Become immersed in Japanese culture with a tour that tells the stories behind the half-moon bridge, koi pond, bonsai trees, and other features rich in symbolism and folklore.
Summer Butterfly Tour
Spring Woodland Tour